When our region experiences severe winter storms or is under a winter weather advisory, the resources below can provide important resources and serve as a vital emergency contact list.
One important website to be aware of is the Fairfax County Emergency Information website which provides constant updates on the weather forecast and conditions. That website can be found here. Additionally, VDOT has winter travel tips and information here.
The Commonwealth also has their winter weather preparedness website available here. You can also download the new Ready Virginia app for your phone.
Additionally, be aware of power outages that can be caused by heavy, wet snow and strong winds. Report any power outages to Dominion power by calling 1-866-366-4357 and follow restoration efforts at www.dom.com. Remember, make alternative plans if you or a family member need power for medical purposes.
The following phone numbers are important to have on hand during any storm
- Emergency: If you are having an emergency, please call 911
- Non-Emergency Information: The Fairfax County Non-Emergency number 703-691-2131; VA TTY NUMBER IS 711
- Shelter Locations: Call 2-1-1 for Shelter Location or http://www.211virginia.org
- Road Conditions: Call 5-1-1 for road conditions or http://www.511virginia.org/
- Dominion Virginia Power outages and downed wires: 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357)
- Public roads: Virginia Department of Transportation: 1-800-FOR-ROAD (1-800-367-7623)
- Parks: Fairfax County Park Authority: 703-324-8594
- Public Areas: Fairfax County Urban Forestry: 703-324-1770
- Private property: Removal is the property owner’s responsibility. Be aware of the risk of chain saw injury during tree removal. Use a chain saw safely to clear debris. If a tree has hit your home, call your property insurance company before starting the removal process.
- Rising water that threatens your safety, call 9-1-1
- Storm flooding during regular business hours (Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.) – after-hours storm flooding emergencies that are not life threatening – 703-323-1211 and state that you are reporting a storm sewer emergency
- Sanitary sewer flooding: 703-323-1211; If you have damp walls or floors, contact a water removal or restoration company
- Sewer Breaks or Back-ups: 703-323-1211 or 703-250-2003
- Health Department: 703-246-2201
- The Virginia state Bureau of Insurance offers free consumer guides entitled, “What to Do After an Insured Commercial Property Loss”‘, and “What to Do After an Insured Homeowners Loss”. These guides are available at www.scc.virginia.gov/boi. The Bureau of Insurance has staff specifically trained to handle disaster insurance questions and problems. Phone:
804-371-9185 or 804-371-9185 or 9691. The toll-free number is 1-877-310-6560.
Please be careful and stay safe. In addition, don’t forget to check on friends and neighbors, especially those who live alone or are elderly.